Everything in Moderation

That's my motto at the gym this week. All fall I have been trying to get back in shape. I had short little streaks where I hit the gym hard...trying to workout like I did a year and a half ago when I was in much better shape. I spent 45 minutes on the stair climber, sweating like crazy and totally wiped when I was done. Which in the moment felt great. But I was so wiped and it was so hard that the thought of going back the next day and doing it all over again was overwhelming. So I'm taking things easier this time around. Doing it in moderation. I walked for 60 minutes on the treadmill today...low speed (3.2 mph) and a slight incline. Throughout all this weight gain and health decline I have managed to keep walking around Nyack. So 60 minutes on the treadmill is not horribly difficult. But I still got a little sweat going and it felt good to work out. I plan on doing it everyday this week. Eventually I will amp things up. I definitely plan on adding weights next week. Doing resistance training has been hard for me to get into.  This Fall I was starting to reach outside my comfort zone and was making some tiny progress. But being strong and toning my muscles is something I really want to do. And that is what I have to focus on when I am at the gym. That I want to be there and I want to improve.

I am realizing that I really tend to live my life in extremes...all or nothing. Which meant I was either dieting like crazy and killing myself at the gym or eating whatever I liked and being a bum on the couch. But I think in order to be successful I have to stop thinking that way. I need to spend my time somewhere in the middle, be consistent, and I will start to see long term results. 

Eventually I may be back on the stairmaster, sweating like crazy for nearly an hour, but for now I'm taking it easy...doing things in moderation so that I keep doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment